I have had a couple of people reach out to me lately asking for advice on starting and running businesses. It’s great. I am glad I have build a reputation that I know what I am doing…even though I feel like I am just figuring it out. It’s got me thinking about what to tell people.
- It’s harder than you will ever imagine in areas that you wouldn’t imagine.
- It gets harder as it goes on…not easier.
- Focus on sales first. Solving problems caused my too much sales is way better than solving problems caused by not enough sales.
- Don’t do it by yourself, and make sure you have people who you can turn to for leadership and advice.
- Create a list of everything you need to do. Pick one thing. Do it. Repeat this every day for a week. Then make a new list at the beginning of the next week. Repeat this process forever.
- Remember to look back at what you have accomplished when you get discouraged by what you have not accomplished.
- It’s ok to go into a room by yourself and cry and yell or whatever you need to do.
- Schedule healthy stress releases, or you will unintentionally have unhealthy stress releases.
- You will notice as time goes by that you have more people around who want something from you than people who want something for you. This is a natural consequence of leadership. So…be intentional about seeking out people who want something from you.
- You are more that your performance. This is hard to believe at times when you are doing really well and at times when you are note doing very well.
- Hire people to do what you are not good at doing as early as possible. This can be through outsourcing or employees.
- Hire people who are results oriented and can figure out problems on their own. Give them goals. Hold them accountable.
- Don’t stop selling your vision to the people you lead.
- Take time to practice gratitude. You will get caught up in the problems and in what needs to be done. Gratitude helps take some of that pressure off, and it is certainly energizing.
- Keep as much money in the company as possible because something will happen and you will need it to be there.
- If you are doing it right, you won’t be the person who has all of the answers.
- Pay attention to what people do more than what they say.
- Don’t isolate yourself. (See numbers 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, and 17).
Also published on Medium.